CHARLES T. READ.
Brief Sketch of a Well-Known Danby Man, Who Now Resides in Manchester.– A Prosperous Farmer and Good Citizen.
We this week present our readers with a portrait and sketch of a former resident of Dan by—Mr.Charles T. Read of Manchester Centre.
Mr. Read was born in Danby May 28, 1832. His father, Timothy Read, was a native of Swanzy, N. H., and came to Danby in 1826. Here he married Eunice Herrick, widow of Barton Kelley, and first resided on the Ezra Harrington farm. He was for many years one of the largest farmers in Danby, and was also a shoemaker by trade. He was a man ever mindful of the interests of his town, and held many important town offices. He also represented the town in the state legislature two years. He was interested in religious affairs and was instrumental in building the church south of the Corners, which stood near the A. B. Herrick farm. This was long known as the ” Read Meeting-house,” and was torn down many years ago.
Interesting stories are related concerning Timothy Read. He was a great worker and it is said that few were able to keep pace with him as they toiled with him in the fields. Above all things, he could mow. We are told that one time he mowed a swath of considerable length which was nineteen feet in width. In February, 1849, he died at the age of 52 years. His wife died in 1874 at the age of 84.
Charles T. Read is a brother of Ed-ward J. Read of this town, of Mrs. Eu-nice Fish and Miss Lucy Read, the remarkable deaf, dumb and blind woman, spoken of so frequently in many Vermont papers during the past months and who, too, live in this village. Mr. Read’s occupation in life has been that of a farmer. When a young man, how-ever, he peddled tin for a time, starting at Bennington and traveling north through the state, with an occasional trip into New York state.
Mr. Read married, March 25, 1856, Lucinda, daughter of Albert and Sarah (Fish) Bucklin of Danby. They resided one year in Castleton and one year in Arlington, after which they lived in Danby for a long period. In 1883, Mr. Read sold his farm in Danby, now owned by Mrs. George Stone, and the following year purchased of W. C. Bourn 4 fine farm one-half mile north of Manchester Centre, and here since has been his home. Mrs. Read died February 21, 1902. Three children were born to them, all of whom are now living—Mrs. J. F. Hilliard of Dorset, Mrs. Jennie E. Hilliard and George E. Read of Manchester Centre.
Mr. Read is one of Manchester’s best and most prosperous farmers. He is a public-spirited man, and always interested in the welfare of his town. He was a member of the state legislature in 1867, representing the town of Danby. In Manchester he has been one of the board of selectmen for several years and has also been justice of the peace.
Although Mr. Read has lately passed his seventy-first birthday anniversary he is still a very active man, and able to do his part in the day’s labor. That good health may still attend him, and that the years of life may yet be many is surely the wish of all the MIRROR readers in this vicinity.